About UNR Med
UNR Med is a research-intensive, community-based, statewide medical school that has served Nevada for more than 40 years as its only public medical school. When the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine was chartered in 1969, its mission was training and providing primary care doctors for Nevada's rural communities. While the school's mission has expanded, it has also remained true to its original charter to provide statewide medical education and patient care. Undergraduate medical education is concentrated in the classroom and labs on the Reno campus, where the curriculum emphasizes basic biomedical and behavioral sciences. The school's comprehensive clinical curriculum occurs on the Reno, Las Vegas and Elko campuses, as well as other rural sites throughout the state, wherein students are exposed to providing healthcare in rural communities.
Our Vision: A Healthy Nevada
Our Mission: Improving the health and well-being of all Nevadans and their communities through excellence in:
- student education and postgraduate training that produces global leaders in medicine;
- clinical care, safety and innovation;
- research with local, national and global impact;
- an institutional culture of diversity and inclusion.
Our Core Values:
- Compassion: We are kind and caring towards our patients and each other. We are committed to aid those who are sick, understand their experience and create a positive, healing environment.
- Diversity: We value and support diversity. We are committed to inclusive and consistent practices toward our patients and each other.
- Excellence: We work toward improvement with an expectation of excellence in professional and organizational standards.
- Integrity: We act in an ethical, honest and responsible manner. We hold ourselves accountable to act with integrity.
- Respect: We practice fairness, and communicate appropriately and respectfully.
- Safety: We provide a safe environment free of threats and danger.
- Service: We provide excellent service and meet the needs of all we serve. We remove barriers to access.
- Stewardship: We embody the responsible planning and management of resources.
Diversity Statement: The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine recognizes that diversity promotes excellence in education, research and health care. Our school is an inclusive and engaged community and recognizes the added value that students, faculty and staff from different backgrounds bring to the educational experience. We strive to develop culturally competent graduates to care for the residents of Nevada and the nation.
Policy Disclaimer: All policies referenced in the handbook are subject to change and the most recently approved policy will be followed. Updated policies can be found at UNR Med Policy Page