Scheduling your Electives

Office of Medical Education

students looking at camera

Students are responsible for developing their own proposed program.

The following is a step-by-step summary of the scheduling process:

  • Choose a clinical career advisor from the advisors list.
  • Make a tentative schedule based on your personal and professional needs. Be sure to include all required rotations and out-of-state electives.
  • Review your tentative schedule with your clinical career advisor.
  • Once you have been given your confirmed rural rotation assignment, revise your tentative schedule if necessary.
  • You may then proceed to schedule the rest of your electives with the department assistants. Note: Department assistants will not schedule any electives until March 5, 2018, and ONLY department assistants are authorized to approve electives. Their signatures must appear on your schedule form for the elective to be officially approved.
  • Have your fourth-year advisor approve and sign your final schedule. This signature is required.
  • Submit only your final, 36-week schedule to the Office of Medical Education by May 4th, 2018.
  • Two weeks in advance of beginning each elective, contact the appropriate department assistant to confirm your participation and for information about where and to whom you should report.
  • Provide out-of-state elective coordinators or preceptors with copies of the Clinical Performance Evaluation form.


  • Clerkships: Any clerkship not taken in the third year must be completed by the end of September 2018. Scheduling for all clerkships is coordinated through the Office of Medical Education, (775) 682-7729.
  • Electives: All School of Medicine electives must be scheduled through the appropriate department assistant. The signature of the department assistant must appear on the Electives Course Schedule before the Associate Dean for Medical Education will approve the form.

Medical students in some electives, across all specialties, may be assigned to an attending that sees patients at many hospitals. The Offices of Admissions and Student Affairs and Medical Education, in Las Vegas and Reno, have the required application forms. Contact Christine McHardy for more information.