Dr. Watterson received his bachelor's degree and master's degree from St. Louis University and the doctoral degree from the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. He holds the academic rank of professor and is currently the chair of the department. He is also the Director of the Northern Nevada Cleft Palate Team. Dr. Watterson teaches graduate courses and supervises clinical practicum in the areas of craniofacial disorders, alaryngeal speech, endoscopy, and voice disorders. His research interests include craniofacial disorders and voice disorders. He has published and presented more than 100 papers. Dr. Watterson is also a clinician who sees patients and works with students individually to develop clinical skills.
- Galek, K.E., and Watterson, T. In Press. Perceptual anchors and the dispersion of nasality ratings. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal.
- Blanton, A., Watterson, T. and Lewis, K. 2015. The differential influence of vowels and palatal covering on nasalance scores. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 52;1, 82-87. DOI: 10.1597/13-092.
- Watterson, T., and Grames, L.M. 2014. Knowledge and skills for evaluation of velopharyngeal physiology for speech. Perspectives on Speech Science and Orofacial Disorders. 24(2): 67-76. DOI: 10.1044/ssod24.2.67.
- Watterson, T., Mancini, M., Brancamp, T. U., and Lewis, K.E. 2013. Relationship Between the Perception of Hypernasality and Social Judgments in School-Aged Children. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 50;4, 498-502.
- Watterson, T., Lewis, K.E., Murdock, T., and Cordero, K.N. 2013. Reliability and validity of nasality ratings between a monolingual and bilingual listener for speech samples from English-Spanish speaking children. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 65, 91-97.
- Watterson, T., Lewis, K., Ludlow, J.C., and Ludlow, P.C. 2013. The Effect of Nasal Decongestion on Nasalance Scores. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 45;6, 620-627.
- Brancamp, T., Lewis, K., and Watterson, T. 2010. Relationship Between Nasalance Scores and Nasality Ratings Obtained with Equal Appearing Interval and Direct Magnitude Estimation Scaling Methods. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 47;6, 631-637.
- Lewis, K.E., Watterson, T., and Blanton, A. 2008. Comparison of Long Term and Short Term Variability in Nasalance Scores. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 45;5, 495-500.
Subject experts database
The subject experts database is an online index of University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine doctors, educators, and professionals where media can easily find experts on a wide range of topics at the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine.
- Ear, Nose and Throat, Otolaryngology
- Speech Pathology/Audiology