Fluid Exposure Protocol: Las Vegas

Las Vegas Campus, University Medical Center

Who do I inform if I have an exposure?

Medical students report the exposure to the On Duty Administrator and fill out a C-1 exposure form.

Hospital Phone: 77-NEED

Cell Phone: (702) 383-2000, ask for On Duty Administrator

  • Monday – Friday, 8 – 5 p.m., (regular working hours): A member of the Exposure Evaluation Team will meet with the student as soon as possible to provide counseling, risk assessment and reach a decision with the student about the need for post-exposure prophylaxis.
  • Nights, weekends, holidays: A member of the Exposure Evaluation Team will be on-call and respond by beeper/phone to the talk with the medical student.
  • University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Office of Student Affairs: Monday-Friday, 8-5, contact the Director, Student Affairs and Educational Outreach, Ashley Sylvester, at: asylvester@med.unr.edu or (702) 671-2393.
Should I go to the emergency room?

Emergency room visits will only be required if the injury requires emergency care. The Employee Health Nurse Practitioner will meet with the student within 72 hours of the exposure to review lab results.

Does my insurance pay for the care I receive?

Yes, if you have School of Medicine provided health insurance. Fluid exposures are covered, at 100% up to a maximum limit. All students will be evaluated and counseled within two hours by the UMC Exposure Evaluation Team.

What types of exposures does this protocol cover?

This protocol is designed to evaluate post-exposure treatment for HIV and Hepatitis B.

Should I get any follow-up care?

The protocol at UMC is designed to provide care/medications (if required). Students should follow up with the primary care clinics in Las Vegas.

Do all exposures put me equally at risk?

Students who experience percutaneous injuries are the most at risk for exposures. Students who experience mucous membrane or non-intact skin exposures are less at risk. Complete information on procedures for the different exposure types are available in the Fluid Exposure Protocol at the locations lists above.

What if I get told to do something different?

You can contact the Office of Recruitment and Student Affairs (702) 671-2393 or your Clerkship Coordinator if you have questions.