Dr. Islas has two sides to his career. He spent the first six years of his career in the far-east colonies of El Paso County as the Community Medicine Division Director for the Texas Tech- HSC in El Paso, TX. He took a sabbatical year and completed his Sports Fellowship and since has been an Associate Professor and Sports Medicine Fellowship Director which he established within the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine. Dr. Islas has been very active in El Paso in which he covered local high school athletics, The El Paso Diablos and was one of the UTEP Team physicians. He was also the Medical Director for the El Paso Marathon and for the Eagle in the Sun Triathlon, the Flying Horse Half marathon and the Mighty Mujer triathlon. Dr. Islas has taken his sports medicine and Wilderness Medicine training to new heights acting as the Medical Director for the Guadalupe Mountains National Park from 2012 to present and was faculty for the Wilderness Medical Society during their Everest Base Camp Expeditions in 2012 and again in 2014. In 2015 Dr. Islas took a position at the University of Nevada Department of Family Medicine as the Sports Medicine Fellowship Director and is the new Head Team Physician for the University of Nevada, Reno Athletics program.
Subject experts database
The subject experts database is an online index of University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine doctors, educators, and professionals where media can easily find experts on a wide range of topics at the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine.
- Rural/Wilderness Medicine
- Sports Medicine
- Fellowship in Sports Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Science Center Dept. of Family and Community Medicine – Lubbock - June 2008.
- Masters in Public Health, University of Texas at Houston – August 2007.
- Fellow of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine - July 2007.
- Post Graduate Year 1- 3, Texas Tech University Health Science Center Department of Family Medicine for Family Medicine Residency - El Paso, TX. - July 1998 through July 2001.
- Medical Doctorate, Texas Tech University Health Science Center, Lubbock, TX. - May 1998.
- AB, Brown University, Providence, RI. - May 1991.
Dr. Islas is a graduate of Jefferson High School and attended Brown University for his undergraduate degree. He then pursued his medical degree from Texas Tech in Lubbock and subsequently did his residency in Family Medicine at the Texas Tech Family Medicine Program in El Paso, TX. Dr. Islas then pursued his Masters in Public Health from the University of Texas at Houston School of Public Health and did his Sports Medicine Fellowship with the Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship in Lubbock, TX, with the Red Raiders. Lastly, Dr. Islas is a fellow of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine and an ex-president of the Wilderness Medical Society.