Faculty Development Funding
FY20 Faculty Development Funding Program
The UNR Med Faculty Development Funding Program was conceived and implemented under the leadership of Dean Thomas L. Schwenk in order to provide research and professional development funding opportunities to all academic and administrative faculty members with an FTE of 0.5 or greater, through a competitive, online application process. Now in its 9th year of funding, we are pleased to notify you of the opening of the FY20 cycle.
Faculty Development Funding awards may support expenses including, but not limited to: registration and travel expenses to conferences, professional meetings, and workshops; support for collaborative projects with peer institutions; pilot research projects; clinical and teaching skills development; and projects yet to be imagined!
FY20 PROGRAM CYCLE: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis during the following open periods:
- July 15 - November 1, 2019
- January 1 - May 15, 2020
- Applications may be submitted between November 1 and January 1, but will be reviewed after January 1
- Award Application
REVIEW COMMITTEE: In 2019, a committee was established to review submitted applications and to appropriate funds. Potential applicants are encouraged to contact committee members to determine if their ideas are appropriate for the program.
Review Committee Members:
- Dr. James Kenyon: Research
- Dr. Kevin Facemyer: Education
- Veronica Shearin: Professional Development with a focus on administrative faculty members
- Debra Glogovac: Program Manager
This formal funding program requires adherence to processes and reporting structures in order to provide maximum opportunity to the greatest number of faculty members. Failure to comply may result in forfeited funds.
REQUIREMENTS: Review the following program requirements prior to completing the online application:
- Chair/unit leader letter of support must accompany the online application (applicants will be prompted to upload the document in order to complete the online application process)
- Name one administrative assistant who will be solely responsible for providing a spreadsheet of expenses, completing all transactions in Workday and working with Debra Glogovac to ensure proper use of funds; please notify her of personnel changes
- Prepare a comprehensive budget detail for inclusion in online application
- Annual subscriptions for an individual and hosting charges are not allowable expenses
- If salaries for SPs or student workers are requested, the designated administrative assistant will be responsible for all timely, salary-related transactions in Workday; chairs/unit leaders must specifically approve this in the letter of support
- Letters of support must include the amount of committed matching funds provided to support the project; if matching funds are not available, please note this
- Expenses may not exceed awarded funds; funds must be reimbursed if this occurs
- Build a $30 expense into budget detail for poster printing (posters to be presented at a faculty event in June 2020 - event information will be forthcoming)
- Please note that funds may only be requested for events/projects occurring in the same fiscal year as received; funding for events occurring after May 15 and through July 15 must come from other sources
- The awardee name and clear expense details must be entered into the Workday memo field for each transaction; when possible, please add Debra Glogovac as a transaction reviewer
Past Years - Award Summaries
Additional funding opportunities through UNR
The Office of Research & Innovation offers internal funding awards to academic faculty members who hold a 50% FTE within UNR. Travel grants are competitively awarded to academic faculty members who are planning to travel to present scholarly work as a senior author or specifically traveling to interact with a funding sponsor for the purpose of enhancing funding potential. Please take advantage of these additional funding opportunities.
For more information or assistance in locating resources, please contact Debra Glogovac in the Office for Faculty.