- 2004 - present: Co-Founder, Chief Technology Officer, Phigenics, LLC
- 2002 - 2004: Research Director, Nalco
- 2000 - 2002: Managing Technical Director, Global Research, Ondeo Nalco, A Division of Suez
- 1994 - 2000: Technical Director, Global Microbiology and Food Process, Nalco Chemical Corp.
- 1992 - 1994: Group Leader, Microbiology, Nalco Chemical Corporation
- 1990 - 1992: Group Leader, Great Lakes Chemical Corporation, West Lafayette, Indiana
- 1988 - 1991: Visiting Professor, Dept of Environmental Engineering, Purdue University (concurrent)
- 1987 - 1990: Research Associate, Great Lakes Chemical Corporation, West Lafayette, Indiana
- 1984 - 1987: Senior Research Scientist, Rohm and Haas Company, Research Laboratories, PA
- 1982 - 1984: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, University of California, Irvine, California
- 2002: Suez Trophy of Merit (the highest innovation award given by the group), Brussels
- 2002: Grand Prize Management Innovation Trophy, Suez Group, Brussels
- 2001: Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Management and Science. Intl. Water Assoc., Berlin
- 2001: Inventor of the Year Award. The Intellectual Property Law Association, Chicago
- 2000: Grand Prize Technical Innovation Trophy, Suez Group, Paris
- 1999: Governor’s Pollution Prevention Award, The State of Illinois
- 1998: R&D 100 Award. Research and Development Magazine. 1998. 40(10):140
- 1986: Rohm and Haas Computer Applications Research Award
- 1986: Rohm and Haas Performance Merit Award
- 1982 - 1984: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- 1981: NOVA Foundation Scholar, Full Graduate Stipend, University of Calgary
- 1980: Graduate Research Assistant, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- 1977 - 1979: Graduate Research and Teaching Assistantships, University of Hawaii
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology
Since graduate studies beginning in 1978, Bill has been continuously innovating in the chemistry, microbiology and analytical diagnostics of water management. He has published more than 100 scientific articles including 30 US patents (all with international equivalents) and 8 book chapters. The International Water Association published his full-length book entitled Preventing Legionellosis in 2005.
Current Lab Members
- Leah Wickenberg, MSc.
- Katie Fisher, MSc.
- Avneet Chhabra, BSc.
- Doug Ross, BSc.
Patents and Commercial Development
This portfolio of 29 patents, all with international equivalents, disclose innovations in water treatment methods, diagnostics, antimicrobials and monitoring devices that have produced more than $USD 1 billion in revenue.
- 1982: Ph.D. Microbiology, University of Calgary (Professor: J.W. Costerton)
- 1979: M.Sc. Microbiology, University of Hawaii (Professor: L.R. Berger)
- 1977: B.Sc. Microbiology with Distinction, Calif. State University, Long Beach, CA
- 1976: B.A. Chemistry with Honors, Calif. State University, Long Beach, CA