Post-Bac Information Sessions
Information Sessions are offered in both Reno and Las Vegas and include a one-hour application workshop and the opportunity to meet and ask questions of the program staff and faculty, current students and/or alumni.
Currently, we do not have any Information Sessions scheduled.
About the Post-Baccalaureate (Post-bac)
The Post-Baccalaureate (post-bac) Certificate program at UNR Med is an early assurance admission program for individuals who require additional education in the sciences in order to be academically prepared for success in medical school.
The objective of the post-bac program is to help address disparities in education, health care and the health care profession within Nevada. Therefore, the program gives preference to candidates who are Nevada residents and to individuals who are members of groups that are underrepresented in healthcare, or who live in or were raised in a medically underserved community.
Applicants accepted to the post-bac complete a rigorous program that purposefully mimics the intensity of medical school. Programs of study are created individually for each student based on their academic needs and may include upper-division biology, biochemistry, public health, and other related subjects.
In addition to completing upper-division courses, post-bac students:
- Attend regular team-based-learning seminars to sharpen their study skills and other competencies needed for medical school.
- Attend monthly advising meetings.
- Enroll and complete Med 461, MCAT preparation*
- Attend a summer MCAT Prep course at the end of the academic year.*
*Post-bac students who have previously taken the MCAT may be eligible to waive MCAT prep course requirements if their score meets criteria set by the UNR Med Admissions Executive Committee.
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident of the U.S. or a DACA recipient.
- Complete or be on track to complete a bachelor's degree by the start of the Program in August.
- Complete the prerequisite course requirements described below prior to the start of the program.
- Have an undergraduate GPA between 2.85 and 3.40, or a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 30 credits of college coursework.
NOTE: Meeting application requirements does not guarantee selection for an interview.
Applicants are required to complete the following prerequisites before starting the Post-baccalaureate Program.
- 15 credits in biological sciences
- 8 credits in general chemistry
- 8 credits in organic chemistry
- 8 credits in physics
- 3 credits in psychology
Letters of Recommendation
UNR Med will only accept three (3) recommendation letters and require the following letters for your application to be considered complete:
- One letter from a clinical setting, required to be written by a licensed Doctor of Medicine (MD), Nurse Practitioner (NP), Physician Assistant (PA), or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
- One letter from an academic setting, strongly encouraged to be written by a science professor, or from a research experience
- One "other" letter of your choice, such as another teacher, an employer, volunteer coordinator, etc.
Each cycle, UNR Med invites thirty applicants to interview for the post-bac program. UNR Med seeks applicants who clearly exhibit the Pre-Professional Competencies identified by AAMC as core competencies for entering medical students.
Applicants should have extensive exposure to the practice of medicine and significant clinical experiences that include direct patient care. They should be able to demonstrate a clear motivation for pursuing a medical degree, an informed understanding about the role of a physician. and an awareness of both the challenges and rewards of a career as a health care provider.
Preference is given to applicants who are Nevada residents and to applicants who/who are:
- 1st generation college graduates (neither parent graduated from college with a bachelor's degree)
- From low-income households where cost or other factors have created a disadvantage in an applicant's access to or pursuit of higher education
- Identify as a member of a group that is underrepresented in the healthcare professions
- From medically underserved communities
- U.S. Military Veterans
Criteria for Assured Admission
Students accepted to the Post-bac who complete all requirements, exhibit excellent professionalism, who earn a 3.5 GPA in the program and meet the MCAT and Interview criteria are assured a seat as a medical student at UNR Med. Information about MCAT and MMI are determined each year by the Admissions Executive Committee and criteria is provided to candidates upon admission to the program.
Application & Program Timeline
Nov 15 : Online post-bac application available **Please note the change in application open date**
January 12, 2020: Applications due Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 11:59pm
February 1: (approximately): Candidates selected for interviews notified.
February 19: Interviews
March 15: Admitted students notified
August 24: Post-bac fall classes start
January 19: Post-bac spring classes start
May-July: Summer MCAT Prep program
July 1: Deadline to submit AMCAS application
July: Take MCAT
August: Medical School Starts
- Attend a Post-bac Information Session.
- For additional questions or to receive updated program information, please email the UNR MED Office of Admission.