Nevada's only direct entry program for high school seniors.
Pre-Med at UNR
If you are a high school student on the path to a career as a physician, the University of Nevada, Reno offers excellent academic programs, advising, and extracurricular opportunities to support you in preparing for the medical school application process and for success as a medical student. We also offer Nevada's only direct entry BS-MD program.
About the BS-MD Program
The BS-MD Program is a comprehensive, rigorous and supportive four-year, undergraduate program for highly motivated, mature, and academically exceptional students who are on the pathway to a career as a physician.
Upon acceptance to the BS-MD program, students will be granted conditional admission to the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine upon completion all BS-MD and UNR Med graduation requirements.
BS-MD Application Eligibility Requirements
To apply to the BS-MD program, applicants must be current high school seniors who are on track to graduate this year from a Nevada high school and have attended a Nevada high school for at least two consecutive years.
BS-MD applicants must also meet the following criteria:
- A combined Math/Critical Reading sections minimum score of 1320 (new version) of the SAT, or combined math/critical reading ACT score of 28 or greater. Please note that while the undergraduate campus at the University of Nevada, Reno is not requiring an ACT or SAT score for the 2020-2021 application year, applicants to the BS-MD program are still required to submit a qualifying ACT or SAT test score.
- Placement in the top 10% of their graduating high school class, or an un-weighted GPA of 3.65.
- Evidence of a high level of maturity, professionalism, and independence.
- Significant exposure to health care and the practice of medicine resulting in a clear understanding about the rewards, roles, and challenges of being a physician. May include experiences shadowing or observing physicians, and ideally, some paid or volunteer direct care or contact with patients.
- Demonstrated record of engagement in extracurricular experiences such as: community service, employment, leadership, athletics, music, art, student organizations, etc.
- Prepared to begin calculus and other college-level courses.
- Applicants must be first-time freshman applicants to UNR and must apply and be admitted to the undergraduate institution by February 1st;
- Be a Nevada resident and US Citizenship or if non-US citizens must reside in Nevada, meet all other criteria and be DACA eligible or have a permanent resident visa, and reside in Nevada
If selected for the BS-MD, the candidate must provide evidence of graduation from a Nevada high school.
Letters of Recommendation
UNR Med will only accept three (3) recommendation letters and require the following letters for your application to be considered complete:
- One letter from a clinical or community service setting
- One letter from an academic setting written by a science instructor/teacher
- One "other" letter of your choice such as another teacher, an employer, volunteer coordinator, etc
BS-MD Application Timeline
The BS-MD application process is separate from that of the undergraduate institutions. Interested students must apply to UNR through the regular application process, then apply to the BS-MD Program.
- The BS-MD Application and application instructions will be open in mid-November
- Applications and supporting documents must be received by January 13th at 11:59 PM PST.
- BS-MD Preview Event (Invite Only) during the afternoon of January 19th
- Students selected for a BS-MD interview will be notified by approximately February 1st. Virtual interviews will take place between February 1st - 8th. Please note that meeting all application requirements does not guarantee an interview.
- Students granted admission will be notified by email on approximately March 15th. This acceptance will include admission to the medical school on condition of meeting all BS-MD program requirements and all UNR graduation requirements.
- Students selected for the BS-MD must accept their space in the program by April 1st.