UNR Med Event Tips
Creating the List (3-2 months out)
- Begin by scheduling your event
- Identify groups and individuals to invite
- Internal constituents
- If external constituents are to be invited (those who are not current faculty, staff or students) the list must be pulled through your college's Director of Development.
- Please contact Events and Protocol for more details on this process.
- Generating a list to external constituents needs to take place at least 12 weeks prior to event
Creating the Invitation (10 weeks out)
- Start with the end in mind. Your goal is to send 8-5 weeks prior to the event
- Both electronic invitations and print invitations are acceptable, depending on the audience and budget.
- Electronic invitations need to be ADA compliant
- How to check if a PDF is ADA Accessible with Adobe Acrobat Professional
- Contacts Events and Protocol to make a PDF ADA Accessible if your department does not own Adobe Acrobat Professional
- Spell out all words - do not abbreviate
- Do not include periods to close sentences, unless in a paragraph format
- Limit font style to no more than two
- Standard information to include:
- Name of host
- Event type/name/purpose
- RSVP/ Registration instructions
- If you would like a consultation on setting up an Eventbrite registration link, contact Events and Protocol 12 weeks prior to event
- Event directions/map when appropriate (it is often encouraged to send a reminder prior to the event reminding guests of details with a link to provide directions)
- The design and content of event invitations and promotional materials to large internal audiences and all external audiences must be approved by the Events and Protocol office. Please contact Events and Protocol for approval.
Sending the Invitation (8-5 weeks out)
- Print Invitations
- Formatting Email Invitations
- BCC all individuals being invited
- CC yourself
- In the body of the email, write
- Who the invitation is from
- "Having difficulty viewing this email? Open the attachment or call (phone number) for event details."
- Registration information
- Insert picture of invitation
- Hyperlink the photo to your registration website if applicable
- If there are multiple links in your invitation, hyperlink photo to registration and write the other links below the invitation photo in the body of your email
- Create alt+text for the photo, naming it your event invitation
- To do this, right click on the image and select "Add Alt+text" A window will open on the right and in the "description section," type "(event name) Invitation"
- Attach ADA accessible invitation