INBRE Undergraduate Research
Student Training Programs
Nevada INBRE offers two exciting opportunities for undergraduates to have a hands-on laboratory experience in an emerging field of biomedical science such as genomics, proteomics, biological imaging, bioinformatics, or any field of research supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
INBRE will select recipients for awards for students to work with a faculty mentor on a research project. An INBRE summer research experience will enrich your science education, allow you to gain first-hand knowledge about a scientific career, and will give you a competitive edge on graduate school, medical school and job applications. UROP projects often lead to longer term collaborations, publishable research, and careers in medicine or biomedical research.
Biomedical Pipeline Programs in Nevada
Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC)
- Success First Summer Bridge program. This program, leveraged by approximately ten funding sources including TMCC, exposes underrepresented incoming high school graduates to STEM/Biomedical careers while providing tutoring and remedial math and English support prior to the start of the first semester.
- BioResearch summer workshop. TMCC will also continue its highly-successful BioResearch summer workshop with a new and innovative focus on developing and engaging students in research projects or components that can proceed in remote, online or virtual environments, such as data mining of genomic data or publicly available community health information. This also opens new doors for students and faculty in rural or frontier locations across the state, such as tribal communities.
- CUREs. TMCC has already implemented several successful CUREs, a microbiology (BIOL 251) cure that incorporates bacteriophage research into the curriculum. TMCC will introduce a new CURE associated with an Introductory Cell and Molecular Biology laboratory (BIOL 190) focused on exploring protein structure-function relationships.
- Collaboration with DRI. TMCC also plans to further support and expand undergraduate research on campus and will develop collaborations with DRI for students to conduct mentored research at this world-class research facility located within walking distance (right next door) of the main TMCC Dandini campus.
Other Summer Research Opportunities
- Idaho INBRE Summer Fellows Program
- Montana INBRE Undergraduate Research Program
- Huntsman Cancer Institute PathMaker Research Program
- University of Virginia Summer Research Internship Program
- Summer Research with the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) for Underrepresented Students
- UMN Neuroimaging Summer Research Experience