Peer Health Educator
Currently Accepting Applications
Upon entering college, students are exposed to new experiences and opportunities, expanded personal freedom, and are influenced by others’ behaviors and lifestyles. Peer education makes use of peer influence in a positive way to increase awareness of health issues and risk factors, provide unbiased advice and support, and create healthier behaviors that will shape the lifestyle of students for years to come.
The University of Nevada, Reno Peer Health Educator will be trained to address leading health indicators such as sexual health, mental health, substance/drug abuse, violence, nutrition, and physical activity.
For questions, contact the Student Health Center 775-784-6598.
Our mission is to promote health and well-being by serving as a liaison between the Student Health Center and the students at the University of Nevada, Reno through organized health promotion and education.
The Peer Health Educator (PHE) is a part of the University of Nevada Reno's Student Health Center, Health Education and Promotion Program. This is a volunteer position. PHE's function as team members dedicated to the development and implementation of campus health promotion efforts. The PHE will serve as a liaison to the campus and students through outreach, events, and strategic marketing. The PHE will gain experience with program planning and implementation, evaluation, and expertise on a variety of college health issues. To achieve our mission of improving student health and health behaviors, Peer Health Educators will:
- Provide accurate & current health information to students using a variety of delivery strategies including:
- Social media (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram)
- Workshop presentations (EVERYBody Project)
- Campus events
- Assist in the design and development of health promotion materials.
- Disseminate information to students about campus health resources
- Assist with programs as needed, such as the N-ergy Wellness Program, Stress Course and Health Den Events
- Assist in the delivery of the Free STI Testing Clinic, work with patients and assist the lab
- Plan and implement campus events
- Deliver presentations upon request
- Must be available to attend a weekly, mandatory meeting - every Friday at 10am.
- Must complete an in-person training by Friday, March 25, 2022.
- Must complete a minimum of 15 hours per semester during each year of participation (30 Hours in Total).
- Must be in good standing with the Office of Student Conduct. weekly, mandatory meeting – every Friday at 11 am (1 hour)
- 1/24/2022 - Application for PHE Program Opens
- 2/24/2022 - Application for PHE Program Closes
- 3/7/2022 - 3/11/2022 - Interviews