Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where is the Student Health Center located?

    We are located on the North end of the UNR campus in the Nell J. Redfield Building off of 17th Street and across from the medical school.


  • How do I make an appointment?

    We operate on a same-day appointment system. You can schedule your appointment by calling our office at (775) 784-6598. Advance appointments are needed for specialty services like dermatology, nutrition counseling, psychiatry or sports medicine.


  • If I paid my Spring Health Fee does that allow me to be seen in the summer?

    The Spring Health Fee ends after mini-session. After that, you must pay your Summer Health Fee to be seen at the Student Health Center. This only applies to students who were enrolled in the Spring semester or currently enrolled Summer students. New students can be seen at the start of the Fall semester.


  • Is everything free?

    Your office visits, with the exception of Psychiatry and Dermatology, are included in the Student Health Center fee. Some lab work, procedures and medical supplies are included with your Student Health Center fee. Other laboratory tests, orthopedic supplies and procedures are available at additional cost.


  • Do you have a dermatologist?

    We have a dermatologist available by appointment only. You must be seen by a Student Health Center provider to get a referral to schedule with dermatology.


  • Do you have nutrition counseling available?

    Yes, nutrition counseling is now available by appointment. Please call (775) 784-6598 to set up a nutrition counseling session.


  • Do you have a psychiatrist or psychologist available?

    Yes, both are available by referral from your primary care Student Health Center provider. Call for pricing and details.

  • Can I get lab work done there?

    Yes, we have a full service laboratory. We do not fill outside orders from other physicians.

  • Can I get an x-ray done there?

    Yes, we have x-ray services available.

  • Does the SHC provide dental care?

    No, we do not have dental services available at the Student Health Center. If you are experiencing a dental problem and can't get into your dentist, the Student Health Center provider can evaluate your condition and provide care if indicated as well as give you information on community dental referrals.


  • Are your doctors “real doctors” or medical students?

    All of our physicians are fully licensed professionals and have completed their medical school and residency training. Many are board certified family physicians, and some have additional certification in sports medicine, adolescent medicine and public health. We do occasionally have medical residents working with us but you will be notified if this is the case.


  • What is the difference between the Student Health Fee and the Student Insurance? Does the SHC accept other health insurance?

    The Student Health Fee is not an insurance policy. Paying the health fee entitles you to use of the Student Health Center, unlimited office visits, certain laboratory tests and reduced cost of other health care services. However, procedures, X-rays, and referrals to specialists result in an additional cost.

    Health Insurance is important for covering additional costs of health care such as hospitalization, surgery or other procedures. Though you have access to the Student Health Center as a student, it is important that you maintain Health Insurance coverage. The Student Health Center does not bill Health Insurance, with the exception of the plan offered by the University for graduate, medical and international students.

  • Does SHC provide immunizations and medications needed for international travel?

    We do prescribe malaria prophylaxis medication at the Student Health Center. Many of the immunizations needed for international travel are not available at the Student Health Center, but can be obtained in the community.

    Different countries have different requirements. You can find more information at the CDC Traveler's Health web site.

    International students are required to provide documentation of immunizations. Information on these requirements can be found out at the OISS Website.

  • Can anyone else get information about my medical condition or treatment?

    No, your medical information is strictly confidential. We cannot release any information to anyone without your written consent, including your parents. See HIPAA on our web site for more information.


  • Do you offer HIV and other STI testing?

    Yes, we offer complete screening and testing for STIs as well as education and treatment for sexually transmitted infections.

    Visit the CDC website for STI and HIV screening recommendations.