Student Health Insurance
Student health insurance is provided by Aetna. Coverage begins July 24, 2022 – July 23, 2023*
- Fall: 7/24/22 thru 1/31/2023: $2,243.00*
- Spring/Summer: 2/1/2023 thru 7/23/2023: $2,022.00*
* Pending NSHE Approval
Dental benefits are also available through voluntary enrollment. Online enrollment takes place:
- Fall: 7/1/22 thru 9/9/22
- Spring: 11/4/22 - 2/8/23
Counseling services are provided at the Student Health Center.
Disability, Term Life, AD&D Insurance
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine medical students now have unlimited access to the AMA-Sponsored Med Plus Advantage coverage benefits information and member ID numbers. Disability and life insurance cannot be waived.
Students will need to enter their program ID number 644216 in the "My Med Plus Advantage" portion of the site in order to access the following:
- Disability Income Certificate
- Stress & Wellness Program Member ID
- Global Emergency Travel Service Member ID
- Life Insurance AD&D and EAP (if applicable)
Students may simply click on the "learn more" under "My Med Plus Advantage" in the center of the home page and enter the access code 644216.
- Complete student health policies are available in the School of Medicine Student Handbook.
- Students can also access preferred provider information and other services from the plan administrator.
- Email Julee DeMello with questions.
All medical students are required to enroll in the School of Medicine health, life and disability plan unless they can provide documentation of comparable coverage through a parent's or a spouse's insurance policy. Please consult the brochure for details about benefits and coverage.
Combined Degree Programs
Waiving out of School of Medicine Insurance
Students are automatically enrolled in the student insurance plan each semester. Students must request to waive out of the School of Medicine insurance program each semester. Find the waiver here.
- If you do not apply for a waiver, or your waiver is denied, you will automatically be enrolled in the student insurance plan. If you wish to appeal a denial, instructions on the appeal process are available at the waiver link.
- If you lose your insurance while on a waiver, you will be required to purchase the School of Medicine insurance at the full semester premium. The student insurance is not pro-rated. Your plan must stay active for the entire academic period.
Email Julee DeMello for more information or call (775) 784-6598.
The insurance premium is paid in August and January with tuition and fees. The policy provides comprehensive coverage for both inpatient and outpatient services. Coverage for spouses and children is optional and requires separate enrollment and an additional premium.
Medical students must notify Student Affairs immediately of any changes in insurance coverage (e.g. Termination of coverage under parent's policy) or status (marriage, birth of a child, divorce.) Students must also notify the office of any requested changes in dependent coverage.
Accessing Health Care
The primary health care provider in Reno continues to be the Student Health Center (SHC) (775) 784-6598 on the University of Nevada, Reno campus for medical students in all class years. The SHC is located across from the Pennington Medical Education Building.