Financial Aid & Scholarships

The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine works with the University of Nevada, Reno Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships on providing scholarship and financial assistance. A FAFSA must be filled out in order to receive assistance. Financial aid is any source of funds available to assist students in paying for the costs of a college education. If you think you will need assistance beyond your own financial resources, you are encouraged to apply for financial aid. Whatever your situation, you can be sure that you will be treated fairly and equitably with respect to students in similar financial circumstances as your own.

Most financial aid is based on demonstrated financial need and requires the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal and state grants, loans, and work-study are all need-based programs.

Aid is termed to be gift aid or self help. Gift aid includes grants, scholarships, tuition assistance, and other aid, sometimes called "free money." Self-help aid includes work-study and loans that require the student to work or borrow.

Please note that due to changes in federal regulations, the Office of Student Financial Aid at the School of Medicine is not allowed to offer recommendations on any lending program. However, we recognize that students need resources for such types of loans. We provided the links below to independent websites which offers a current listing of all private alternative loans. Students are encouraged to use the resources on that site to research terms and criteria for various loan programs and make an informed choice.

Some of the most common forms you, as medical students, will be using are:

  • Reporting Changes
  • Budget Revision Request
  • Child Care Budget Increase Request

For more information, contact: Leonard Walker, Assistant Director, Student Financial Services, University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine.