Medical School is a journey. While it is a very rewarding journey, it can also be very physically and emotionally demanding. Positive well-being and good health habits influence a medical student's academic performance, emotional adjustment and future functioning as a physician. That is why the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine believes it is important to have a program in place for medical students to promote their overall health. By providing a wellness program to medical students early and throughout their medical education, the School of Medicine seeks to positively affect students' functioning and provide resources to better equip medical students to address their health and well-being issues effectively. The School of Medicine's Learning and Wellness Resource Center (LWRC) addresses several different areas of wellness including mental, emotional, physical activity, nutrition and social. These areas are addressed through a variety of activities year to year.
Programs & Events
- School of Medicine N-ergy Program
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program 2013
- Wellness Workshops
- Dealing with Test Anxiety
- Academic Performance Enhancement
- It's Never Too Late to Study Smarter!
- Stress Management Techniques
- Clinical Nutrition Applications
- Cheap, Quick, & Healthy: Meal Planning
- Preparing for Step 1 Panel
- And more to come!
- Wellness Events & Activities
- Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest
- Secret Santa Gift Exchange Party
- Valentine's Day Fondue Party
- Group Wellness Hikes
- SOC 5K & BBQ
- Annual School of Medicine Talent Show hosted by the Student Wellness Committee
- Get Your Health On! Student Health Fair
- Interactive programs, including conquering test anxiety, stress management and academic performance enhancement
- Meal-prepping lessons
- Mindfulness workshops
- N-ergy wellness program
The University of Nevada, Reno provides a variety of services-available to students at no additional charge-to support your health, fitness and well-being.
- AMSA A Primer on Medical Student Well-Being
- Campus Student Health and Counseling Resources
- Online Medical Student Wellness & Burnout Resources
- Radio Rounds — The first weekly medical talk show in the United States that is hosted and produced entirely by medical students to promote the qualities of empathy and humanism in medicine.