Gerald J. Ackerman earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Behavioral Science and Health, Master of Science Degree in Health Education and a Certificate in Gerontology for the University of Utah. He has been active in the area of Rural Health, Education and Health Services since 1989. Gerald currently serves as the Associate Director for the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Office of Statewide Initiatives, Director of the Nevada State Office of Rural Health and Program Director for the Nevada Area Health Education Center. Gerald has worked in many areas of health care education, access, delivery and development. Gerald has extensive grant writing and management experience and has worked with many partners and in innovative programs that have been developed in Nevada.
- 2012-present: Associate Director University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Office of Statewide Initiatives
- 2011-present: School of Medicine Program Director for Nevada Area Health Education Center and Nevada State Office of Rural Health
- 1994-2011: Assistant Director, Center for Education and Health Services Outreach, School of Medicine and Associate Director – Rural Programs, Nevada State Office of Rural Health, and co-Deputy Director, Nevada AHEC Program.
- 1990-2006: Center Director, Northeastern Nevada Area Health Education Center, Center for Education and Health Services Outreach, University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine.
- 1989-1990: Learning Resource Coordinator, Northeastern Nevada Area Health Education Center, University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine.
Committees and Advisory Boards
- 2011-present: Nevada Health Center Board of Directors
- 2012-present: Elko County Economic Council Health Committee
- 2010-present: Primary Care Advisory Council, Nevada Office of Primary Care (Gov. Appointment)
- 2009-present: Advisory Board Community Health Sciences UNR
- 2007-present: Faculty Council. Chair 2010 to present
- 2007-present: Advisory Board Community In Schools
- 2009-present: Outreach Committee UNR
- 2009-present: Governors Broadband Taskforce (Gov. Appointment)
- 1999-2008: Advisory Committee, Preventative Health Block Grant
- 2000-2010: Nevada Health Centers Inc. Board of Directors
- 2003-2004: Governor’s Rural Health Plan Accountability Committee
- 2003-present: Northeastern Nevada Primary Care Planning Community Coalition
- 2002-present: Rural Dental Coalitions (4 communities)
- 1997-present: Elko County Senior Citizens Center Board
- 1991-present: Pacific Regional Medical Library Advisory Board
- 1992-1997: Rural Perinatal Drug Abuse Team
- 1991-present: Nevada State Preventive Health Advisory Committee
- 1990-1991: American Heart Association, Nevada Affiliate, Community Site Task Force
- 1990: Elko Drug Prevention Coalition
- 1989: Elko Community Advisory Council on Aging – Ruby Mountain Manor
- 06/1989: Master of Science, Health Education, University of Utah.
- 06/1987: Bachelor of Science, Behavioral Science and Health, University of Utah
- 06/1987: Certificate, Gerontology Program University of Utah.