- 1999-2009: Assistant/Associate Professor, Department of Neuroscience, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2009-2020: Professor and Chair, Department of Neuroscience, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2020-present: Professor and Associate Dean, Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, University of Nevada, Reno, NV
My laboratory studies peripheral neuropathies, including trigeminal neuralgia, with focus on glial biology and lipid metabolism. Through my interactions with neuropathic patient families I came to appreciate the life-long suffering these individuals face. Research projects in my laboratory include therapeutic efforts to repair damaged myelin and on approaches that promote the maintenance of healthy myelin throughout lifespan. Our goal is to build toward new therapies for demyelinating disorders of the nervous system and alleviate patient suffering. As an academic faculty, I enjoy training and mentoring students and junior scientists from diverse backgrounds. My laboratory provides hands-on research training opportunities for individuals with an interest in disorders of the nervous system.
Below are examples of our latest publications:
- Serfecz J, Bazick H, AlSalihi M, Turner P, Fields C, Cruz PE, Renne R and Notterpek L. The expression of human peripheral myelin protein 22 is suppressed by miR-29a in cellular models of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 1A. Gene Therapy, 2019, Dec;26(12):455-464.
- Zhou Y, Lee S, Bazick, H, Miles J, Tavori H, Fazio S, , Notterpek L. A neutral lipid-enriched diet alleviates peripheral nerve pathology and improves myelination in neuropathic mice. Experimental Neurology. 2019 Nov;321:113031 (featured on journal cover)
- Zhou Y, Borchelt D, Tavori H, Miles J, Fazio F and Notterpek L. Alterations in PMP22 affect subcellular cholesterol trafficking by both gain- and loss-of-function mechanisms. 2020, Glia 11 (featured on Journal cover)
- 1986: Bachelor of Arts in Anatomy and Physiology University of California, Berkeley, CA
- 1989-94: Ph.D. in Neuroscience, Dissertation Advisor: Dr. Leonard H. Rome Department of Biological Chemistry, School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- 1994-99: Postdoctoral Fellow, Mentor: Dr. Eric M. Shooter Department of Neurobiology, School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA