Resident Dress Standard Policy
Residents are expected at all times to present a professional appearance appropriate to their role while representing the school of medicine. Dress, grooming, and personal cleanliness standards contribute positively to the morale and professional image the resident physician presents to patients and their families. It represents another form of patient respect.
- Policy: Standards for Dress/Grooming:
- All residents are required to maintain a professional, well-groomed appearance while performing their duties. Residents are expected to present a clean and need appearance and dress according to the requirements of their assignments. Residents are expected to practice good hygiene.
- Hair should be neat, clean and arranged in a manner and length that does not interfere with patient care.
- Proper scrub wear is appropriate only in procedure and patient care areas, labor and delivery floors, in operating suites and in the ED. It should be neat and clean whenever worn outside the immediate patient care areas. It is permissible to wear scrubs to conference or administrative areas immediately adjacent to the hospital.
- Protective covering of all kinds (shoe covers, gowns, goggles, gloves, masks and caps) shall be worn only in areas specifically requiring their use (as per OSHA regulations).
- The following clothing is NOT acceptable or appropriate:
- Leather or denim shirts, dresses, skirts, jackets or trousers (jeans); tank tops, t-shirts, (shirts without collars)
- Sheer clothing; tight fitting clothing (leotards, spandex)
- Oversized or baggy shirts or pants; sweat pants or sweat shirts
- Uncovered feet, sandals, thongs, moccasins.
- Personal adornments NOT acceptable or appropriate:
- Jewelry that interferes with patient care activities and distracts from the conservative, professional image
- Visible skin piercing, (other than appropriate earrings), body markings or tattoos
- Lab Coats: All residents are provided with lab coats. They may be worn in patient care areas and when worn should be relatively clean.