USMLE Data UNR Med 2013 - 2019 U.S. Allopathic Seniors (2018) Step Matched Step Matched Unmatched Step 1 Mean 243 Step 1 Mean 235 217 Step 2 Mean 252 Step 2 Mean 250 229
PRECENTILE DISTRIBUTION FOR ALL MATCHED SENIORS (2016-2018)
PRECENTILE DISTRIBUTION FOR ALL MATCHED SENIORS (2016-2018) Criteria UNR Med 25th 50th 75th # Matched Seniors <3 3 6 9 % of Class <3 0.8 1.4 2.2 Mean # of programs on rank order list <3 11.8 13 15.3 Mean # of programs ranked in specialty <3 10.2 11.5 13 Mean # of research experiences <3 2 2.6 3.4 Mean # of volunteer experiences <3 6.3 8 10 Mean Step 1 Score 235.7 229.2 235 241 Mean Step 2 Score 248 244 247.8 253.8 <3= 3 or fewer students
Charting Outcomes of the Match | (3rd Party Document Download)
Outcomes of the 2019 Match
Outcomes of the 2019 Match Year # Programs # Positions Offered # Unfilled Programs # U.S. Senior Applicants # Total Applicants % Filled US Seniors % Filled Total PGY-1 78 390 5 372 591 80.80% 98.20%
Does Step 2 score influence rank?
Should Applicants Do Away Rotations?
Away rotations are not necessary unless you are strongly interested in a program or location. If you do an away, be prepared to perform at your very best.
- Research/scholarship is not required but adds strength to your overall application.
- Research will be more helpful if applying to academic programs.
- Conducting research in medicine is preferred
- Experiences that have informed your decision and relay enthusiasm for medicine
- Discuss interests and career plans
- Make sure it is thoughtful and organized
Letters of Recommendation
- Four (4) letters are recommended, 2 from IM and 2 from Peds
- Some programs also require 1 letter from chair of each department
- Letters should be written by faculty who have observed your clinical performance
- Programs begin reviewing applicants in September - October
- Programs begin offering Interviews September - November
- Some programs begin interviewing October - November
- You can expect interviews through January
- Online Resources
University of Rochester/Strong Memorial NY
- Indiana University SOM
- Loma Linda University - CA
- Duke University Medical Center-NC