Upcoming Gender Affirming Care
Academic Lectures and SeminarsGender Affirming Care ECHO May 30
Academic Lectures and SeminarsGender Affirming Care ECHO June 06
Academic Lectures and SeminarsGender Affirming Care ECHO June 13
Academic Lectures and SeminarsGender Affirming Care ECHO June 20
Cohort-based program | 12-1 p.m.
This series will be seven 60-minute-long teleconference sessions in which providers will have the opportunity to review gender-affirming care with a multidisciplinary team of subject matter experts in the field of transgender medicine. Participants will bring patient cases from their practices for whom they have questions about providing gender-affirming care such as initiation and maintenance of hormone therapy, mental health support, preventive care, sexual health and post-operative care.
- Session #1: Intro to Gender Identity, Terminology, Pronouns, Creating a Safe Space; Epidemiology and Health Challenges
- Session #2: Feminizing Hormone Therapy: Estradiol, Anti-Androgens, Progestagens, Surgical Procedures
- Session #3: Masculinizing Hormone Therapy; Testosterone; Surgical Procedures
- Session #4: Sexual Health and STI Screening, PrEP, Rapid stART
- Session #5: Organ Inventory and Routine Screening in Primary Care
- Session #6: Transgender Adolescents: When Puberty Blockers May be Appropriate
- Session #7: Post-Operative Care After Gender-Affirming Surgery
Gender Affirming Care - Case Review Form
- Rob Phoenix, MSN, APRN, FNP-C. Rob Phoenix is a family nurse practitioner in Las Vegas, NV where he owned and operated the largest LGBTQ+-focused medical clinic in Southern Nevada. Rob focused his practice on HIV prevention, HIV treatment, Transgender health care, and providing primary care. Rob was recently selected to represent Nevada as the Ambassador to the CDC Act Against AIDS campaign. Rob was recently selected as the Southern Nevada Health District 2018 Public Health Hero.
- Ivy Spadone, MS, PA-C, AAHIVS. Ivy Spadone is an Assistant Professor at the PA Studies Program, which is part of the Department of Family and Community Medicine. Ivy graduated from George Washington University PA Program in 1999 and has provided care to underserved individuals for the last 22 years. She has a certification from the American Academy of HIV Medicine as an HIV specialist and has provided care for substance use, mental health and gender-diverse individuals using a harm reduction model of care.
- Karen Thiele, M.D. Dr. Thiele is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Family and Community Medicine. She completed her residency in Family and Community Medicine from the University of Nevada, Reno, in 2019. She enjoys the broad scope of practice of a family doctor and has patients that encompass all ages and stages of life, including obstetrics. Her special interests include primary care of the LGBT+ community, providing cross-gender hormone therapy for gender-diverse patients, women's reproductive health, PrEP, and wilderness medicine.
To request copies of didactics and reference materials, please contact us at ProjectECHO@med.unr.edu.
Continuing Medical Education (CME) Accreditation
The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine is a provider of continuing education credit through the Nevada State Board of Pharmacy. This program is approved for 1 hour of continuing education credit for pharmacists.